Hardback book printing UK

Hardback book printing UK

Hardback book printing UK – A hardcover or hardback (also known as hardbound, and casebound) book. Therefore bound with rigid covers (typically of 2.25 micron boards covered with laminated printed paper sheet). Printed Paper Case Hardback (PPC) Square backed. Also available with Cloth, Blocking, and a loose dust jacket.

Hardback book printing UK
PPC Printed Paper Case

Call 01525 621742 for assistance.

Cloth effect WIBALIN Buckram colour range

The WIBALIN Buckram range is suitable even for the most demanding projects and gives hardback book binding that certain something. The dyed-through paper is available in a wide variety of colours, we hold the following as stock colours:

Wibalin Black 570

Wibalin Blue 588

Wibalin Brown 524

Wibalin Green 552

Wibalin Maroon 534

Other non stock colours are available and can be viewed at: Winters Wibalin

FAQ Hardback Books

Basis weight of paper – The weight of a material defined by g/m2 (grammes per square metre).

Bleed – Printed matter which runs off the edge of the paper. The bleed is the amount by which the illustration extends beyond the trim size (We require 3mm of bleed).

Blocking – Impressing a design or lettering on a book cover, the blocking may be in ink or metal foil, or it may be blind blocked to produce a recessed surface.

Book-block – The pages of a book when prepared for casing in, before the case is added. Also book pages trimmed all round ready for punching.

Brass – A brass die used for blocking.

Bulk – The thickness of a book or sheet of paper.

Case– The cover of a book, prepared beforehand for affixing to the book-block.

Casebinding – A method of binding in which the cover is made separately but consists of rigid or flexible boards covered with paper, cloth or other material, in such a manner that the covering material surrounds the outside and the edges of the board. Covers always project beyond the trimmed edges of the next pages.

Casing in – Inserting the book block into its case and pasting down.

Collate – To check the sections of a gathered book to ensure that they are all present and are in the correct order.

Cut – The act of cutting flat printed or unprinted paper on a guillotine or three knife trimmer.

Edges – The three cut sides of a book-block.

Endpapers – A piece of plain, fancy printed paper folded into four pages to the page size, sewn or pasted to the first and lastsection to secure the book to the case or binding. 

Extent – The length of a book in terms of the number of pages.

Flyleaf – The inside leaf of a four page endpaper which is pasted along the folded edge of the first or last page of the book.

Foil– Sized metallic or pigment leaf used in blocking lettering or designs on the surface. Used primarily for blocking book covers.

Foredge – The outer edge of a book, opposite the spine.

Foot – The bottom edge of a book.

Frontispiece – An illustration on the page facing the title page of the book.

Head – The top cut edge of a book.

Jacket – The printed paper outer cover which wraps round a case bound book in order to protect it and to act as a point of sale display.

Laminating – The application of a film, either gloss or matt finish, to the surface of the printed book cover to enhance its appearance and to increase durability.

Landscape – The Shape of an illustration or book is referred to as ‘Landscape’ when its width is greater than its height. 

Leaf – A sheet of a book containing two pages, one on each side. Thus, a book containing 32 leaves has 64 pages.

Portrait – The shape of a book or illustration is referred to as portrait when its height is greater than its width.

Section – A sequence of pages forming part of a book.

Spine – The bound edge of a book, also known as the ‘back’.

Square back – A binding which has been collated and trimmed but not round and backed. Also called ‘Flat Back’.

Get a book printing quote